What's Next Shanghai Fall 2013

Health & Safety

The NYU Student Health Center and the Department of Public Safety work closely with program staff to plan for safe, healthy, and enriching opportunities long before you arrive. Students are introduced to many of these services in the months leading up to their departure while others will be explained in detail during the mandatory on-site orientation, which includes detailed information about local healthcare and crisis response resources, crime prevention techniques, cultural differences, and more.

While an issue is unlikely to surface, should an emergency situation arise, a local staff member is on call 24-hours a day; as well, the Department of Public Safety in New York will assist with international emergencies (212-998-2222). For medical situations, the University assigns coverage by HTH Worldwide, an international insurance company, to ensure that treatment is available to you by qualified professionals when needed with no out of pocket expense. Students are also required to maintain insurance with their home policy.

The Department of Public Safety in conjunction with the Office of Global Programs works to create a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors to pursue their educational and professional goals and aspirations.

Health Insurance : As part of the NYU Shanghai program you are enrolled in a global health insurance plan called HTH Worldwide at no additional cost. This program provides you with improved access to medical and mental health services in the event you become ill or injured or require ongoing health or mental health care while abroad with New York University. While enrollment in the HTH Worldwide plan is free to all students studying abroad with NYU, you must maintain domestic coverage. This ensures that there are no critical gaps in coverage for medically necessary care at home or abroad. Most NYU students are automatically enrolled in and charged for the NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan as part of the course registration process. Visiting students are unfortunately not eligible for NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance and should plan to maintain their own domestic coverage for their term away with NYU.

  • HTH is provided by the University at no additional cost to you.
  • There are typically no out-of-pocket fees when health care is arranged through HTH, except for the cost of medications.
  • HTH provides access to English-speaking, western-trained physicians and can be utilized throughout the world, not just where you are studying
  • HTH covers both mental and physical health care needs
  • You are enrolled in HTH for ONLY the dates of the program, so if you travel after the semester ends you are not covered by HTH
  • You will receive an e-mail in the coming months from enrollment@hthworldwide.com welcoming you to you to HTH and asking you to sign up on their website–make sure you do this! Make sure you do this so that you can print your HTH insurance ID card!
  • You must remain enrolled in your domestic health insurance plan while you are abroad (this is a condition of enrollment in NYU study abroad). Do NOT cancel your current health insurance!

Personal Property Insurance : While it’s not mandatory that you purchase personal property insurance for your semester abroad, we strongly recommend that you consider it before your semester begins, particularly if you are bringing electronics with you or if you plan on traveling.

Information on the CSI Insurance Agency, a company that provides personal property/effects insurance for you while abroad if you select to undertake coverage, is included here. This is the same company that offers a similar policy for students personal items on the NYU campus inNew York.

Questions about this coverage should be directed to CSI Insurance Agency directly http://www.collegestudentinsurance.com/

Counseling Abroad : While studying abroad is an incredible experience, it often takes time to adjust to a new culture, living arrangements, food, language and submersion into the unfamiliar. Some students feel overwhelmed, others homesick. Some afraid, others depressed. You may periodically feel out of sorts.

The attitudes toward counseling, or therapy, vary from one country to another. Similarly, the availability of resources and quality of services may be different from what we are accustomed to in the US. The NYU staff at your study abroad site can refer you to a local counselor so that you can arrange a therapy schedule. Your HTH Worldwide Health Insurance should cover the cost for your mental health care needs so that you do not have to pay out of pocket for counseling services.

You must plan ahead before departure! Call the Wellness Exchange at 212 443-9999 or write to wellness.exchange@nyu.edu if you need help making connections to mental health professionals abroad.

If you currently attend counseling or see a therapist regularly, consider the following:

  • If treatment is essential to your functioning, you must identify a therapist PRIOR TO your departure!!
  • If you are considering taking a hiatus from treatment, you should have a plan in the event that you need to see someone while abroad.
  • If you know you will need a therapist or counselor prior to departure, call the Wellness Exchange at 212 443-9999. Counselors will assist you in connecting with appropriate NYU site staff NOW to get a referral

If you are presently taking prescribed psychotropic medication:

  • You must meet with your prescribing physician to discuss
  • Receiving enough medication to last until you return. (Note: For some conditions and some medications, this is not possible)
  • Getting a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor abroad who will follow you and write prescription refills. Note that prescriptions from American doctors cannot be filled abroad.
  • Having the prescription and the generic make up available and translated into the language of the country where you are studying abroad.
  • If you know you will need medication, get it before you leave, or contact NYU’s the Wellness Exchange at 212 443-9999. Counselors will be able to put you in contact with the appropriate NYU site staff NOW to get a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor.

If you have questions or concerns, contact the Wellness Exchange at 212 443-9999; e-mail wellness.exchange@nyu.edu or check out their web page at www.nyu.edu/shc/counseling. If you find you need a therapist, counselor or doctor while you are away, ask a member of the NYU Shanghai site staff. All inquiries will be kept confidential.

Top 10 Security Tips for Students

  • Avoid underage and excessive alcohol consumption – “Overdoing it,” leads to the majority of arrests, accidents, violent crimes, rapes, and deaths suffered by American students when traveling to international destinations. As in the U.S., disturbing the peace, lewd behavior, littering, driving under the influence, drinking on the street or on public transportation may all be considered criminal activities by local authorities.
  • Don’t import, purchase, use, or have drugs in your possession – It just makes good sense. Drug charges can carry severe penalties, including imprisonment without bail for up to a year before a case is even tried. A conviction carries several more years of imprisonment in a foreign jail. In some countries it doesn’t matter if you’re underage either; you can still be charged as an adult.
  • Obey the local laws – An arrest or accident during your study abroad experience can result in a difficult legal situation. Your U.S. citizenship does not make you exempt from full prosecution under another country’s criminal justice system. Many countries impose harsh penalties for violations that would be considered minor in the United States. If you find yourself in a legal jam, contact the closest U.S. consulate, U.S. consular agency, or the U.S. embassy for assistance. Keep in mind, U.S. consular employees cannot arrange for local officials to release detained American citizens.
  • Only use licensed and regulated taxis – Some illegitimate taxi drivers are sometimes, in fact, criminals in search of victims. Some passengers of unlicensed taxis have been robbed, kidnapped, and/or raped. When in doubt, ask the Global site staff, club or restaurant staff to summon a legitimate taxi for you.
  • Do not carry weapons – A pocketknife can result in a serious weapons charge while on foreign soil – even if the knife is found while being arrested for a separate offense.
  • Avoid participating in demonstrations and other political activities – Here in the U.S. we enjoy many liberties. However, political activities in other countries can result in detention and/or deportation by officials. Even demonstrations that are intended to be peaceful can sometimes turn violent, and you don’t want to be caught in the middle.
  • Be conscientious – Keep wallets, cell phones , laptops and other valuables with you. These are the type of property that are commonly reported stolen. Crimes of Opportunity can be minimized by safeguarding your property and not leaving them unattended.
  • Safe and secure in your residence – In your residence, always close and lock your door even if leave for just a minute. Insist your roommate(s) do the same. Establish rules with your roommate(s) regarding visitors .
  • ATM security – The best time to use ATMs is during the daylight hours. Use bank affiliated ATMs whenever possible. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; avoid counting or displaying money on the street.
  • Pickpockets – Be aware of pickpocket situations — crowded areas e.g. subways. Men – carry wallets in front pants pocket. Women – use bags, pocketbooks etc. that zipper well; keep pocketbooks on your lap when in restaurants etc. Avoid the backs of chairs or under the table, carry your bag close to your body, tucked in the bend of your elbow. Avoid bags that clasp or snap shut, zippered bags are preferable.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s